Friday, June 26, 2009

Official Statement from Lieutenant Governor André Bauer

Clearly the events of the last week have been emotionally difficult for everyone involved.

Mark Sanford now has some painful issues to resolve with his sons and his wife. I appreciate his plea for a zone of privacy around his family. I came from a broken family. I absolutely understand the trauma and confusion his sons are feeling, because when I was 10 years old the same pain rocked my life.

I assure you that Mark’s children need their father, and especially his reassurance that they will always enjoy a special place in his heart.

Even as we give Mark some space on his family issues, we must press ahead at the problems that are vexing all the families in our state.

We must stay focused on the big picture, which is the need to produce jobs and prosperity for our people in South Carolina.

Double digit unemployment, combined with fewer job opportunities, demands the best of our government.

All of our government. All of the time.

These are real issues that require answers – answers I am committed to finding – and it is where I am urging my esteemed colleagues in the Legislature – Democrat and Republican -- to apply their focus.

As far as the issue of the Governor is concerned, we do have lots of questions – and the people are deserving of answers. We have constitutional questions – we need to ensure there is never any doubt over who is responsible for the safety of our citizens at any given time.

There are questions about how tax dollars and resources are spent and have been spent – and why. Fair and complete answers will restore confidence in our government

And finally -- there are questions – legitimate ones – about where we go from here.

However, do not look to me to be engaging or joining in calls one way or the other as they relate to Governor Sanford.

From my perspective it’s simply counterproductive. My focus is on my responsibilities, and what I can do to help our state – and our citizens -- as we struggle to revive our great state, recover our pride, and begin moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment